On Monday, August 11, two men who are Master Masons and Shiners were recognized by the Grand Master of Florida Masons, Most Worshipful Danny Griffith, and the Potentate of Morocco Shrine Center, Illustrious Sir Dennis Green.
William Hudson and Arthur Allison received the Daniel Carter Beard Masonic Scouter Award
This award is a national award program for Masons who exemplify the Scout Law and Masonic virtues, in the service to the scouting program.
In the late 1800’s, Daniel Carter Beard created a program called the “Boy Pioneers”. This program inspired Lord Baden Powell to create the Boy Scouts in England. The Boy Scout program came to the United States in 1910 when Daniel Beard merged his organization into the Boy Scouts of America and became its first National Commissioner.
Daniel Beard was a Master Mason in New York and stood as a fine example of how a Master Mason can live a life of Masonic service to mankind by reaching out and working with the youth in the local community.
Both William Hudson and Arthur Allison were nominated by their Masonic Lodge, Orange Park Lodge, approved by the local Boy Scouts of America Council, and authorized by the Grand Lodge of Florida.
Some of the facts that authorized William Hudson to receive this award are:
- Earned Scouting’s Flagship rank of Eagle Scout in 1944
- Served as Assistant Scoutmaster and Scoutmaster in Albany, GA
- Became a Master Mason in 1954
- Served as Scoutmaster in Muskogee, OK
- Served as a member of the Advancement Committee in Montgomery, AL
- Served as Advancement Director for the Mohawk District in Jacksonville, FL
- Served as Eagle Scout Projects Coordinator for the Black Creek District, Clay County, FL
- Still serving as member of the Black Creek District Committee
Some of the facts that authorized Arthur Allison to receive this award are:
- Became a Master Mason in 1988
- Help established Cub Scout Pack 389
- Helped established Boy Scout Troop 389
- Served as Charter Representative for Pack 389 and Troop 389
- Served as Institutional Head for Pack 389 and Troop 389
- Served as Trainer with the North Florida Council’s University of Scouting